The Rock That Changed the World (03:17)
In 1945, America is at war with Japan. Three days after Hiroshima, another atomic bomb is dropped on Nagasaki. Uranium promised a future of limitless energy.
Two Super Powers (03:20)
In 1949, Soviet Russia tests an atomic bomb. Learn about the evolution of the Cold War. With uranium comes the power to destroy life.
Deterrence Mission (03:17)
Visit Arizona and go underground into the Titan Missile Museum. Titan 2 is the largest and most powerful missile system every deployed in the United States.
Uranium Consequences (04:25)
Travel to Australia and meet Jeffrey Lee, the traditional owner of land rich in uranium. He protects the land and refuses to let others mine it. On April 26, 1986, a nuclear accident occurs at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant.
Chernobyl Exclusion Zone (08:45)
Follow Mueller as he tours the abandoned town of Pripyat which suffered a catastrophic nuclear accident. Learn the biological effects of radiation.
Half-Life of Uranium (03:25)
Half-life is the rate at which radioactive atoms decay. People will not live in Pripyat for hundreds of years due to the Chernobyl nuclear disaster. The half-life of uranium-238 is 4.5 billion years.
Technetium 99m (04:52)
Visit Sydney and learn how scientists turn radiation into a life-saving medicine. Mueller peers inside a research nuclear reactor. A cancer patient is injected with fragments of uranium.
People of Chernobyl (05:42)
Thomas studies the health effects of Chernobyl through a collection of tissue samples gathered for almost 20 years. Children developed thyroid cancer from drinking contaminated cow's milk.
Fukushima Exclusion Zone (06:19)
On March 11, 2011, a magnitude 9 earthquake shakes Japan. After the quake came the tsunami. After the tsunami the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant exploded. More than 150,000 people were evacuated.
Nuclear Waste (08:32)
With 7 billion people on the planet, by 2050 we will use more energy than all of human history combined. In nuclear power plants 5% of uranium fuel is used, leaving 95% as radioactive waste.
Credits: Uranium: Twisting the Dragon's Tail—Part 2 (00:29)
Credits: Uranium: Twisting the Dragon's Tail—Part 2
For additional digital leasing and purchase options contact a media consultant at 800-257-5126
(press option 3) or firstname.lastname@example.org.